Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Man, The Myth, The Legend

I can't believe I almost forgot to write about this.

I went to an Anchorage Chamber Visitors Bureau event, which was held at the HQ of Alaska Wild Berry Products (They make chocolates and jams and things). They built a park like thing that has a theatre they show a movie about Alaska in. There's also a place to eat, get ice cream etc. My favorite was the reindeers, though. I was the only one over there looking at them and talking to the reindeer keeper people. I learned that reindeer were actually just bred from caribou. They're really docile so they let people into the pen to feed them and such. These reindeer were brand new to the place so they were a little people shy. I opted not to go into the pen to give them some room because they were scared. They hadn't yet learned that people in the pen means they get fed by those people, which I'm sure would quiet their fear a bit.

The event was just a social event for all of the members, which Frenchy is. Free food and people did 60 second presentations about their businesses. I got in touch with a lot of tour operators, which is good for free tours. I figured the 60 second talks would just be people up there talking for a minute about their services - oh no, they had some fun with it. One person did a monty python type skit, another sang and others brought in animals. A bird rescue group brought a white owl and a mushing place brought a litter of puppies that were 2 weeks old. The momma dog was NOT happy about the puppies being passed around.

The presentation I found most interesting was a guy from Portland who works for a packaging company that has an operation here. They've just unveiled completely biodegradable plastic bags, which degrade in about a year in a landfill. They can make them any shape or size and with any kind of polymer, they just add their additive and voila, biodegradable plastic. Obviously this can't extend too far beyond packaging as of now because for the most part, things that are plastic, we want to last. You know, I wouldn't want the plumbing in my house to disappear after a year. I was impressed by his presentation, even though it was just him standing up there with a plastic bag. Sometimes the content outweighs the format.

And for the big finish. We got a performance from the man, the myth, the legend: Hobo Jim. He's best described as uniquely Alaskan Country music. It isn't like that stupid modern pop-country, though, it's older style, which I do like. It's just him and a guitar. He's a good performer, but what really makes him likeable is his Alaskan storytelling. He so completely embodies Alaska just by being him so it's neat that he can translate that into a medium like music. He's into audience participation, as well, which is always nice. There was one song that required howling. That was a bit out of the ordinary for me. I enjoyed his show, though, and really hope he plays at the Solstice.

Afterwards I was at the desk talking to the Chamber people when I found out Hobo Jim albums were for sale there. Of course I had to get one, right? What better souvenir could I find? Plus it would be nice to be more familiar with his music if he is playing at the Solstice - I mean, I have to know when to howl and everything, right? So I asked the guy there which Hobo Jim CD would be best for a newbie, to which he replied, "Why don't you ask him?" Hobo (that seems to be what people call him) was standing right next to me when I asked. HA! I introduced myself, explaining I was a misguided yankee and could he recommend an album. He told me young Hobo was best and pointed to a CD, but quickly changed his mind in favor of a compilation. He wandered off in search of one and meanwhile they found one at the counter. When I paid for it, much to my surprise, they opened the CD and hurried off with it. It came back Signed by Hobo.

I'd say that was a good first encounter with Hobo Jim. I considered telling some of the stories he told in his performance in this blog because they were really good. I decided against it because you'll just have to come to Alaska to see him live to hear his stories. They're his, not mine.

No comments: