Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Bee a Fool

I made a fool of myself today in the name of a bee. What's new?

I was in my car at a park when I heard a buzz. I looked to my right and there was a big bumblebee. I instantly jumped out of my car and ran away like a fool. I stood outside of my car for a while trying to figure out if the bee was gone. I was carefully poking my head in trying to look around without actually being too far inside the car, poking things in the back seat to see if a bee would fly out. You know, normal stuff. After I was done examining my car I still wasn't sure if he was in there someplace so I was just lamely standing in the parking lot next to my car reading an article, glancing in the car on occasion. Suddenly, I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. . . BEE! A different bee was hovering near me so I slowly backed away and walked around to the other side of the car. He followed me. After a few laps of trying to decide if a potential bumblebee in the car was worse than a bee following me outside of the car, I finally got in the car and drove away. Quickly. The entire ride home I was ready to pull over if I needed to run like hell from my bumblebee passenger. I've got such issues.

I don't think there was anybody around to see the whole thing unfold, but there were people for at least part of it. I'd love to hear the conversation of people trying to figure out what I was doing because of the way I was poking around my car and doing laps around it. I should really go to the doctor and discuss my potential bee allergy so I can just get an epi. Most of the fear for me is not knowing what will happen if I get stung - it could just be a usual sting reaction or I may be highly allergic, in which case I'd be outta luck. With an epi I might (I repeat, MIGHT) not run from every bee that comes within 10 feet of me.

1 comment:

Eckarah said...

I agree with your thoughts of getting an epi-pen. Bry always carried one, never had to use it. Then of course there was the incident right after he was hospitalized with heart failure. Yep, stung by a couple bees, no epi pen and yes, his throat just about closed. Off to the ER... Course then there is the issue of if he should have even used the epi-pen if he'd had one given the heart failure........ Get an epi-pen, especially given that you are in the woods and I imagine not close to medical treatment if your throat were to start closing.