Thursday, May 8, 2008

I'm laaaaame

(THIS POST IS FROM LAST NIGHT. THE INTERNET DIED BEFORE I COULD POST)

The entire way up here all I've wanted to do is camp but I have yet to do it. I'm in Fort Nelson, BC and I decided I'm going to camp if it's the last thing I do. The campgrounds here cater more to the RV than to the tent.

I found a place to camp but I'm definitely that girl with the tent. I'm so lame. They don't have firewood here, so I just spent an hour in the woods finding dead branches and trees. It was AWESOME. There is one VERY angry squirrel in those woods right now.

So I was just sitting outside of the office of the campgrounds to use the internet because I don't get signal over by my site. I was getting eaten alive by these giant mosquitoes, so I decided to go inside to the bar they have. My God, when I walked in everyone stopped what they were doing and stared. These are the times that it sucks to be alone on the road. They probably think I'm a stupid Yank, especially because I whipped out a computer.

About my tent. I left my tent at home. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and getting a stinky backpacking tent so I could camp out. It was cheap. The lameness of my tent makes me that much more lame around here. I rule!

I ordered a Guinness at this bar, just to further assert how out of place I am, and it tastes weird. The label is gold and it doesn't taste like Guinness at all. It's probably ancient because I'm the first and last person to order one here in this old west themed bar. Yes, I said old west themed. The bar stools are shaped like saddles, so you need to straddle it to sit on it. I planned on sitting at the bar when I walked in the door, but I quickly changed my mind when I saw that. I can just see drunk people sliding off those all the time. I'd take pictures, but I don't want to further set myself apart here. . .

I ended up ordering a burger and it's really really good and the french fries with it are homemade, also very good. Glad I came in. I should get going, though. Better work on getting my fire started before it's night. It's 9pm here and it's still really light out. It doesn't get dark until after 10:30ish. It was even like this in Dawson Creek. I'm a bit confused by it because I'm on the very edge of the time zone, so I was expecting it to be the other way around. Also, Dawson Creek is a good bit south, so I wasn't expecting it to be the same.

I switched to a Molson Canadian for my next beer after that pissey tasting Guinness. It tastes like piss, but at least it's supposed to!

No comments: