Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Edmonton/Speed Limits

I'm in Edmonton. Nothing really eventful going on. I stopped at a rest stop yesterday when I was driving and booked a hotel room for last night. When I got here they only had a smoking room, the internet didn't work and the AC/heater didn't work. Fun! It didn't really bother me, though. I was really tired and just passed out. I'm in the lobby now catching up before I leave. There is a guy with some sort of mental disability that's supposed to be emptying the trash I think, but he's just standing there staring at me. I tried to say hello and talk to him and he just continued staring at me, completely stone faced. My words are going completely unnoticed. These things happen to me all the time it seems. Doesn't really bother me, but I just wish I knew how to better react.

My drive was pretty uneventful, too. No interesting scenery, just farms. It rained on and off the entire ride. The speed limits here crack me up, and not just because they're metric and commonly 3 digits. The highway I've been on goes right through the towns instead of over them like most highways in the US, so there are no overpasses. It's annoying because the speed limit drops drastically from about 70mph to 30mph, and we all know how hard that is. There are also drastic speed limit drops around work zones. I'm used to having to slow down, but I'm not used to having to slow down to 25mph! It's very interesting that people here really follow the speed limits in work zones and there aren't even police details on the scene, but at home people desperately try to avoid slowing down and we do have police on the scene.

I've been driving the speed limit religiously. I know how much faster than the speed limit I can go at home and not get caught, but not here. That isn't really a side effect of Imperial vs. SI, it's more not knowing how the police operate here. (Even so, the US seriously needs to switch to metric one of these days. We're just so lame.) I feel like such a nana driving so slow. I figure it's probably a good thing, though, because I really don't want to have to deal with any sort of canadian authority because they've probably got a BOLO out on me or something from the border. I haven't seen ANY law enforcement on the highway since I've been in Canada.

I'll probably head to Dawson Creek today, but only after I head to downtown Edmonton for breakfast.

1 comment:

NeoKanG said...

Yes, very good behavior , don't speed up you don't have to. you got all your time ,profit of your trip.make a lot of pauses take pics that what I call a nice trip!!