Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Go to Yellowstone!

Today (actually yesterday, I'm posting this a day late) I went to Yellowstone and it was amazing. I'm surprised I didn't drive right off the road because there were a lot more interesting things to look at than the boring old road. The whole park was one big Ansel Adams picture. No wonder he spent a lot of time there, the views are stunning. I only planned on staying for a few hours then getting back on the road. From the north park entrance to Old Faithful the drive was only 50 miles, but it ended up taking me hours to get there. I wanted to stop every second to look around and/or take pictures. I'm still in awe and will definitely go back there for a longer stay at some point so I can camp and hike.

One lovely part of the trip was my drive out of the park. I ended up stopped on the road twice for quite a while because there were groups of buffalo hanging out on the road. Let me tell you, they're in no hurry. They don't seem to care about cars in the least. I passed several points where there would be a lone buffalo slowly walking down the middle of the road. They seem really docile, but I'm told they're really aggressive when approached. I'll also note that their dung is HUGE (think football to soccer ball sized). I know this because it's EVERYWHERE. It really serves to remind you that you're in the wilderness, not a zoo. It would be easy to get comfortable when you're walking on boardwalks the park built because it seems like it's a park controlled area or that it's dominated by humans, when really the animals are in charge everywhere. The only reason there are even boardwalks is because you're literally walking on a giant volcano and it's dangerous.

I took some video that I'm going to cut together when I have a chance and I'll post it. I'm not doing so well posting pictures and things because I've written some of my blog posts when I have a free moment in anticipation of the next time I have internet and I never get around to getting the pictures together. I'll try to do it this time! Right now I'm sitting at a rest area north of Great Falls, MT, giving me and my car a rest.

1 comment:

Eckarah said...

Tyler says thank you for the sweatshirt! And you didn't put a Jolly Rancher in the envelope... Keep posting updates!