Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bees, the 4th, milkshakes.

I know you don't want to hear me talk about bees anymore, but too bad. I've been staying in the loft area in the main cabin here, which has a big window that is above the roof of the kitchen. When I'm up in the loft there are bees outside of the window almost constantly. Either there's one checking things out by flying around the window for a while (until I spray him with bug killer, that is) or they'll just fly right into the window and thwap against it. A bee will hit the window about every 5 minutes, no exaggeration. What the heck is wrong with them!?! I feel like it's similar to Jurassic Park where the raptors were testing the fence for weakness. Yes, people, this is how I think.

Other than that, Happy 4th everyone! I was going to go to the rodeo today with Kevin, but he decided last minute not to go because it was drizzling out. He actually used to participate in rodeos when he was young and he said they won't do anything in the rain because mud hinders things and makes it more possible for the animals to get hurt. He says they won't risk hurting the animals because they're big money. I looked up the forecast to see if it's going to clear up - no such luck. Then I looked for a phone number for the Ninilchik fairgrounds, where it was supposed to be, so I could ask them if it's still on. In the process I found that the rodeo is actually tomorrow and the next day, not today! Good thing we didn't go! Maybe I'll head over there tomorrow if it clears up. It's supposed to be drizzly all weekend, though.

Instead, I went out for a ride with Kevin because we both had cabin fever. We stopped at a few places. A fair we happened to see, which was geared toward kids. There was a band playing and I'm certain it was the sleepiest band I've ever seen/heard. Lots of people had their dogs there. Alaskans have cool dogs. After that we headed to the Kenai cultural and visitors center, which has a museum, a small art gallery and some wildlife displays. Then we just went driving to the shore because the view from there is stunning. It wasn't as great today because it's overcast, but it was still good. On the way home we happened to see a farmer's market, which I was happy to see. I'm bought pretty much one of everything. I was going for mostly vegetables, then the woman working there was giving out pieces of nectarine and when I tried it I was instantly sold. The price of produce at the grocery store is outrageous, which is another reason I was so happy to see the market. The other day I wanted peppers so I could make some roasted veggies, but when I went to the grocery store I quickly changed my mind and menu. Regular old green bell peppers were 2/$5.00. Whaaaaaaat??? no thank you. At the farmer's market they were $2.00 each and they were all wrinkley. I didn't buy those either. Even if they looked like a masterpiece of a pepper, I'm still not paying $2.00 each. No way, no how.

I brought the guys milkshakes the other day on my way back from the post office because they make great ones at a gas station there. I know, it sounds funny to get a great milkshake from a gas station. It's a small time operation, family owned. They have coffee drinks, baked goods and ice cream on one side, and on the other side of the store there's a food place. It's setup like a sub shop, but I think they just sell lots of fried stuff. When I brought them to the cabins they climbed down from their respective perches and took a break. I took a picture of them drinking milkshakes because it looked funny. Once again, I'll get it on here later because I can't find my camera wire. grrrr. After one they're both hooked on them. Kevin and I stopped there on the way home and picked one up for Ed while we were at it. When we got home we found that Ed had ridden his bike there to get one while we were out! That's a 7 mile ride round trip!! They must be good.

okay, okay, I finally remembered to put the picture up:

5 comments:

bufro said...

i was at stop and shop today and i thought about you.... peppers are $1.68 a lb.

Eckarah said...

I want a milkshake now... I'm going to get fat on my mini vaca just thinking about milkshakes. I will say that I'm really enjoying a beer or two (or three) a day!

tara said...

wow, this comment is really delayed, but here goes anyways:
Erica, drinking beer?!!? Guinness?

These milkshakes are made with soft serve ice cream and I get mine made with the chocolate/vanilla swirl kind, then they have all those flavored syrups they use for coffee drinks, so I have them put that in for a flavor. ammaretto is the best so far. I've really only had a few. The guys on the other hand. . . addicted.

tara said...

oh, by the way. Go ahead and rub it in, Leah!!

Eckarah said...

yes, a little delayed! harpoon UFO. we were on vacation!